Cancer-causing solvent remains in use at dozens of Northeast Ohio dry cleaners

Deadly solvent still in use despite risks

CLEVELAND — John Sammon had a vision for relocating his company

"I thought it was a fantastic building right here in Fairview," he recalled.

What his eyes didn’t see under Lorain Road nixed his property deal, he said. It also got him wondering.

"It's one of those things where it makes you concerned about what you don't know about,” he said.

Soil tests conducted in anticipation of Sammon’s purchase detected traces of a cancer-causing chemical used in dry cleaning. And located right next door: a dry cleaner.

Read the full story - Click here


Glenforest News


WORCESTER – School officials are seeking information about whether a dry cleaning business recently punished by the state Department of Environmental Protection for various violations might have created a contamination risk at the next-door Gates Lane School of International Studies.

White & Brite Cleaners, located yards away from the elementary school at 1256 Main St., was fined nearly $84,000 by the state agency last month for committing air quality, hazardous waste and waste site cleanup infractions, some of which also impacted a house on the property, according to the DEP.

CLICK FOR FULL STORY

Read More

Officials say the drinking water in a West Virginia community along the Ohio River contains a harmful chemical widely used by dry cleaners.

State Bureau for Public Health spokeswoman Allison Adler said in an email Wednesday tetrachloroethylene has been detected in Paden City’s water system since around 2010 at levels below maximum allowable standards. She says the water system was assessed a violation notice in December.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

Read More

Deadly solvent still in use despite risks

CLEVELAND — John Sammon had a vision for relocating his company

"I thought it was a fantastic building right here in Fairview," he recalled.

What his eyes didn’t see under Lorain Road nixed his property deal, he said. It also got him wondering.

"It's one of those things where it makes you concerned about what you don't know about,” he said.

Soil tests conducted in anticipation of Sammon’s purchase detected traces of a cancer-causing chemical used in dry cleaning. And located right next door: a dry cleaner.

Read the full story - Click here

Read More