April 20, 2019
The Supreme Court of Canada recently dismissed a Leave to Appeal from an Ottawa dry cleaner that had been held liable for $1.8 million in clean-up costs from spills of dry cleaning chemicals that occurred approximately 45 years ago.Read more
April 11, 2019 by Greg Meckbach
An Ottawa dry cleaner is liable for nearly $2 million in environmental clean-up costs resulting from spills that occurred at least 45 years ago, as a result of a Supreme Court of Canada ruling released Thursday.Read more
Contamination in the Strathcona neighbourhood has prompted Todd Cleaners to move out of its 99 Street location amid a dispute with a nearby tower development and an old gas station site over who’s responsible for the cleanup.Read more
Reader's Digest - Excited to declutter and freshen your home decor for the new season? Don’t forget the real purpose of spring cleaning is to tackle the deep work that reduces germs, allergens, and mold for a healthier home.
WORCESTER – School officials are seeking information about whether a dry cleaning business recently punished by the state Department of Environmental Protection for various violations might have created a contamination risk at the next-door Gates Lane School of International Studies.
White & Brite Cleaners, located yards away from the elementary school at 1256 Main St., was fined nearly $84,000 by the state agency last month for committing air quality, hazardous waste and waste site cleanup infractions, some of which also impacted a house on the property, according to the DEP.
Officials say the drinking water in a West Virginia community along the Ohio River contains a harmful chemical widely used by dry cleaners.
State Bureau for Public Health spokeswoman Allison Adler said in an email Wednesday tetrachloroethylene has been detected in Paden City’s water system since around 2010 at levels below maximum allowable standards. She says the water system was assessed a violation notice in December.
Deadly solvent still in use despite risks
CLEVELAND — John Sammon had a vision for relocating his company
"I thought it was a fantastic building right here in Fairview," he recalled.
What his eyes didn’t see under Lorain Road nixed his property deal, he said. It also got him wondering.
"It's one of those things where it makes you concerned about what you don't know about,” he said.
Soil tests conducted in anticipation of Sammon’s purchase detected traces of a cancer-causing chemical used in dry cleaning. And located right next door: a dry cleaner.
Read the full story - Click here
When perchloroethylene (PERC) was introduced to the dry cleaning industry in the 1930s, it must have seemed like a miracle solvent. Unfortunately, very few are aware of the health risks associated with a lifetime of using a hazardous chlorinated solvent.Read more
Tide just announced a new alternative to the classic bottle of laundry detergent. It basically looks and works just like a box of wine, which is sort of funny because of that whole meme about teens eating Tide Pods. But the new Tide Eco-Box is no joke. It’s actually a glimpse into a future where Amazon is dictating what our stuff looks like.Read more
GFL Environmental was fined $300,000 in an Ontario Court of Justice in Oshawa after pleading guilty to violating federal environmental law.
The Toronto-headquartered waste disposal company pleaded guilty on Dec.10 to two counts of contravening regulations for selling tetrachloroethylene to owners or operators of dry-cleaning facilities that did not meet regulatory standards.Read more